This blog is dedicated to the over 70 Wisconsin breweries, and the wide array of Wisconsin beer found in Madison, Wisconsin



Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A roundabout path to the Missouri Tavern!

I am pleased to devote this blog to the Missouri Tavern. This beer blogger is a Mizzou Alum (Go Tigers) - so I have always been curious about the Missouri Tavern located right off of Highway 12 in Springfield, Wisconsin. I've driven past this place soooo many times to and from Devil's Lake but never stopped in. So here is our story about how we ended up at the Missouri Tavern.

Well, last Sunday after a nice hike at nearby Indian Lake with our friends (the Hamms) we stopped by Wollersheim Winery. I had never been there and it is a really pretty place. I'll throw in a few pic just bc of the scenery.



 After some too sweet wine and cheese we decided to just keep on Wisconsin adventuring and stop on in and see what this place is all about.

Walking in I had no idea what to expect.  (um - we did have the only Honda Fit in the parking lot.) We were greeted at the door by the friendly bar dog Pumpkin who led us to the bar.  As you can see from the photos the Hamms really liked Pumpkin - we had to prevent bar dog theft when we left.  (and Molly pretends to not be a dog person!)


I have to say that this was a pretty interesting bar.  Matt & Dave have been on a continual dive bar quest and they both agreed that this does not fall into the category of dive bars.  It was pretty sunny and surprisingly crowded for a Sunday afternoon. I liked the fact that they had local beer on tap - and had myself a nice cold Supper Club (Capitol Brewery).

 

Their claim to fame is apparently pie flavored liquor. I didn't fess up to having Missouri connections bc I was afraid of the pie shots - but I thought it was a fun place to stop in. 


               





You can learn more about the Missouri Tavern's history at http://www.missouritavern.net/

Dave and Molly loved this place so much it led to impromptu happy dancing:




2 comments:

  1. How does happy dancing contrast with unhappy dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well one contrast is angst ridden Emo dancing!

    ReplyDelete